Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would be the best way to create an effect of "keying" someones name into a piece of wood in photoshop? I've used a hard 2px brush with a tan color and it looks good. Just not believeable. What do I need for that "wow" factor... to really make it look legitimate?

Kinda sorta like this:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Yeah, I've seen those tutorials, but they look "carved" in. I am looking for something gritty and "scratched" into wood. – EGHDK Sep 21 '12 at 7:58
Always good to find a photo reference. Or make one yourself. – e100 Sep 21 '12 at 8:31
In your photo I see rough lines, hand drawn, bark texture, cut marks, cast shadows, a gradient – horatio Sep 21 '12 at 15:13
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Maybe this will help you in the right direction. I put together a little tutorial for you.

share|improve this answer
Awesome. I appreciate the time you put into it. Thanks – EGHDK Sep 24 '12 at 18:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.