Sign up ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a tool like Poly (iPad app) available for Android or Windows systems? I'd like to turn images into polygones/triangles like shown on the app site.

enter image description here

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

Did a little poking around...turns out that Poly uses something called Delaunay Triangulation. If you search around for that term, some stuff comes up.

This guy (Jonathan Puckey) claims to pretty much own the process, but these guys (createtogether) would disagree - they've created a brush in Illustrator that lets you create something similar. I've not tried it personally but it might work for you. This, and Jonathan Puckey's process, are both based on the Scriptographer plugin for Adobe Illustrator.

enter image description here

If you're into Processing, the plugin Mesh by Lee Byron generates the lines from the points:

enter image description here

Also found this filter for Photoshop that seems to polygon-ize things, but it probably isn't quite what you're looking for. There is the stained glass and mosaic filters in PS as well! But those are pretty lame in comparison to Poly.

enter image description here

If this doesn't answer your question, hope it at least points you in the right direction!

share|improve this answer
I find it hilarious that a person can claim to "invent a technique" in 2008 that I did in freshman 2d art by hand in 1988 (and my teachers had been using as a teaching aid for 40 years) – horatio Sep 25 '12 at 15:19
@horatio I thought it was an odd claim too. You undoubtedly know more about this than I do...anything to add to this? I'm interested in learning more about the technique. – Brendan Sep 25 '12 at 15:28
The basic is that you overlay a grid on the image and then make a decision about the overall color value of the square. The human equivalent of "averaging" the colors is usually called "squinting." You limit your palette as well to make it manageable, and you premix pots of those colors. Then you make comparisons cell-by-cell and choose the proper color, and then you fill the grid. It is a mechanical process. The "plugin mesh" shown above can be thought of as a deformed grid. In one case, I had to grid up my signature, enlarge it by hand, and then deform the grid and re-render it. In ink. – horatio Sep 25 '12 at 16:13
Note that in this particular case, the non-rectangular grid allows one to identify large contrast changes as the basis for the primary points. This probably is better for curves. – horatio Sep 25 '12 at 16:18

You can use an online tool like this triangulation tool or this Delaunay triangulations tool with images that you upload.

Lincoln triangulated

Another option is Kubist, another online tool that does pretty much the same thing.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.