Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know it is not ideal to post the what-font-is-this kind of questions but I find myself intrigued by this sample I found on flickr.

What I'm most interested in is a Blackletter font that has similar clean strokes. Typical Blackletter have rather complicated serifs that are not ideal for my purposes.

sample of the kind of font i'm after - design by Simon Walker
I don't think it is handwritten becasue of the clean lines and perfect radii and because of the inverted angle of the "i" and "h" foots.

On the other hand I kept wondering if this were Fraktur or how the different kinds of blackletter are kept apart. Reading further I found out that fraktur is broken, interupted in english. What puzzles me a bit is that I thought all blackletters where drawn in more than one stroke. Therefore interrupting... Wouldn't they all be Fraktur in that case?

I hope this is not too basic. I have not had a formal graphic design education (currently studying Industrial Design) and am lacking some basic knowledge

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

share|improve this question
It may not be handwritten, but it certainly could have been made in Illustrator. There are really only about 5 stroke forms which are used to construct all the letters, so a little and copy'n'paste, a little rotation, a little scaling and you have them all. The "g" uses two copies of the vertical ascender of the H, with an extra curve. The F is the T with the dot from the I etc. – horatio Feb 23 '11 at 17:26
@horatio Thanks! didn't see how they were constructed. I'll research a bit to get to know the strokes for the letters. Do you have recommendations for that? – leugim Feb 24 '11 at 4:42
I don't, though I did have to hand-render type back in my college days. "The strokes for the letters" will vary on a per-typeface basis. What I noted above is merely me looking at the letters in the logo you posted. – horatio Feb 24 '11 at 15:05
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Well, fractus is latin for "broken", hence the name. The term "fraktur" is sometimes used for a particular type of blackletter (that is, not Miniscules or Rotunda), but often (particularly by German non-typographers) simply refers to all kinds of broken scripts -- that is, blackletter. Here's from Wikipedia:

Blackletter types

I haven't seen this font before, but I'd guess it's hand-drawn for the logo.

share|improve this answer
thanks! I saw this image too in wikipedia but couldn't quite figure out the differences of what makes a Fraktur a Fraktur or any other kind of blackletter type. So I did understand correctly that Textur, Rotunda, Schwabacher and Fraktur are all blackletter but different types of such. Do you know of another source with more images explaining the differences? – leugim Feb 24 '11 at 4:50
I'd give you a laundry-list of typography references I don't even own myself, but frankly ... I find the Wikipedia page on Blackletter script to be more than exhaustive :) – sebastian_k Feb 24 '11 at 6:43

This is a Simon Walker. The man is known for his custom typography work. He has an article about how he does texture and typography on method and craft. It was helpful for me to see how he works.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.