Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's say i have an icon in grey scale, and now I want to change it into a certain green tone instead. The icon is anti-aliased around the edges, so it doesn't look too rugged, and I want to keep this anti-aliasing, but now in a green scale.

Basically I want to define that what was black should now be a specific green, and every lighter shade of grey should be an equally lighter shade of green.

Like the scale shown here, I'd like to change the scale of an image from [black to white] to [green to white]

How is this possible i Photoshop? Am I right, that this could be called a monochrome image?


It seems that "Gradient Map" does exactly this. Image -> Adjustments -> Gradient Map.

Here I've applied a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer to the grey scale

share|improve this question
A cautionary note: this technique will not produce a true monotone in the printing press sense, i.e. an image that can be reproduced with a single coloured ink. But that is one for another question. – e100 Oct 2 '12 at 11:46
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Gradient Map Adjustment Layers are awesome, precise and exactly what you're after.

Gradient Maps map the underlying image's brightness to a point on the gradient. This means you can choose exact colours for highlights, midtones and shadows.

Gradient Map Adjustment Layer

Do I love Gradient Map Adjustment Layers? YES. There's many ways to do something like this in Photoshop, but none are as easy or precise as a Gradient Map.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, this is exactly what i needed. – Magnus Kragelund Oct 2 '12 at 8:38

Hmm add a layer style with either a gradient or color overlay

share|improve this answer
While that will change the color tone of the icon, I find i hard to control the exact color scale that this produces. – Magnus Kragelund Oct 2 '12 at 8:40
This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. – Yisela Oct 31 '12 at 21:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.