Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to know how to make these in photoshop or fireworks, but with a slight preference for fireworks. If I can find a tutorial in photoshop, I can probably get it to work in fireworks.

enter image description here

What is this type of effect called? Is it a particular font they are using?

share|improve this question
Dunno if it's a font or not. Assuming that it wouldn't be a long text or multiple texts and also assuming that I wanted to make exactly the same thing: I would probably go to the Blending options to set Inner bevel as a guide, and then use Pen tool to cut out the lines. – Joonas Oct 7 '12 at 20:34
Not the same font, but this commercial package do something near : Shades… – benoît Oct 8 '12 at 9:49

I'm 99.999999% sure the example you posted is just a typeface that's like that. If you want to achieve a rough approximation in Photoshop, it's possible using the Bevel and Emboss Layer Style. The key is the custom contour.

Bevel and Emboss

The best way to do something like that would be to use a font with the effect baked in, or draw custom shapes... probably in Illustrator (it's far better at things like this).

share|improve this answer
Yes, Illustrator if Bevel and Emboss won't do it.. object->path->offset path is a godsend – Damon Oct 8 '12 at 2:19
Yeah. The Pathfinder panel in Illustrator is also great for this kind of thing. – Marc Edwards Oct 8 '12 at 4:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.