Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This seems simple but I need to insert a black-and-white smily face similiar to this image. Are there any glyphs like this on the Mac. I got this from Microsoft Word it automatically does it when you type :)

enter image description here

share|improve this question
It's just a font.. like Wingdings or Webdings. – Scott Oct 14 '12 at 23:34
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The smiley glyph in Word is a streamlined mashup of AutoCorrect and Wingdings. Chances are really good that you have Wingdings (since you have Word), so you can insert it via the Glyphs panel as needed. Other fonts sometimes have smileys; check the glyphs palette for each font to see what's available.

As an alternative, you could draw your own smile in InDesign and then just copy and paste that inline while you're typing.

share|improve this answer

Actually, there's a Unicode equivalent of about every Wingding in the Wingdings font. Check out this site:

☺ 9786 U+263A White smiling face

share|improve this answer

The capital letter "J" in Wingdings is the smiley face. :)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.