Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is my basic layer setup:

  • Textlayer
  • Shape
  • Background

I want to mask the shape-layer so the parts where the text is the shape is transparent.

Rasterizing the shape and deleting the text-part is not and option. And setting the color of the text to red is also not an option, because the background can be a picture.

I just can't figure out how to do this. All tutorials of masks have different goals then mine...

Thx in advance!

share|improve this question

The answer is very simple, but obscure. As it happens, it doesn't involve clipping masks. :)

Set the text over the shape. Open the text layer Blending Options dialog and set "Fill" to 0 percent, then change the Knockout dropdown to "Deep," which knocks out everything through to the background. This is one of those almost-never-used Photoshop features that comes in handy on the rare occasion that you need it.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

You would have to work with Photoshop CS6 I think, I mean there are some new options but I'm not sure how new they are, maybe they've been there for a while and I did not know about them.

Here's how you do it:

  1. Create your text
  2. Right click on the text layer in the layers panel > go to > Convert to Shape.
  3. Draw your shape(that black shape in your screenshot, but when drawn use the "Path Operations" Option, and set it to "Exclude overlapping shapes"

Here's a screenshots that might help, you can see both the result and the option I talk about in (3), but as I said I'm not sure it was available before CS6:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Thx, this does works CS5! Only problem is that is all shapes need to be on the same mask. I was hoping to find a way to take several layers (images & text) and 'cut' them out my black shape, without loosing the layer-structures. – user63457 Oct 17 '12 at 22:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.