Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have 4 layers (A, B, C, D) which I wish to blend by the following formula (A xor B) plus (C xor D). Is it possible to accomplish this in Photoshop? I am a newbie and found that layer can only control it's blending with all underlying ones.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Maybe. Sort of.

The maths for blending modes probably doesn't fit exactly what you're after. Difference is the same as XOR, and I think Screen the closest you'll get to addition.

Screen Blending Mode

Difference Blending Mode

You should be able to set up the compositing you're after by setting a group blending mode.

enter image description here

If you're after specific and precise values as a result, you may be better served by using something else (or writing your own little application in a high level language).

share|improve this answer
Is Difference not exactly the same as XOR? – e100 Oct 22 '12 at 13:57
Yeah, I think so. But I don't think screen is the same as pure addition of the values? I'll edit my response. – Marc Edwards Oct 22 '12 at 14:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.