Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am going crazy trying to figure out this very simple thing.

I want a drawing tool (like pen or pencil or paintbrush) that can just paint pixels directly as pixels. Thus if the size of the tip is 1px, and I click once, I get a 1px square. If I click and drag 5px, I get a 1px x 5px line. No smearing, no vectors, no curve fitting or stylizing or texturizing or anything like that. How do I do it?

share|improve this question
erm.. the pencil tool in Photoshop. – Scott Oct 23 '12 at 18:25
ok, I'll bite. Where is the pencil tool? – brentonstrine Oct 23 '12 at 18:32
Click and hold on the paintbrush tool. The flyout menu will display a pencil as one of its options. – Lauren Ipsum Oct 23 '12 at 18:37
Beautiful. Thanks. – brentonstrine Oct 23 '12 at 18:39

Use the Pencil tool in Photoshop;


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.