Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am very new to Adobe Illustrator but I'm trying to get the hang of it. I have some text, say "Pizza" and I have filled the "P" with a black square so that there is no hole in it. Then, I have a shape on top of that square which I want to be the new hole in the "P".

So I have the following layers:

  • On top: My shape
  • In the middle: My square
  • In the bottom: My text, "Pizza".

Does anyone know how I can make it so that I can see through my shape and all the way through the square and the text to the background?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Here is what I think you're trying to do: enter image description here

All you need to do this is the pathfinder tool (Window >> pathfinder)

  1. Select your word 'Pizza' right-click it and say "Create Outlines"
  2. Ungroup the word 'Pizza' so you can select each letter individually, or use the white arrow to only select the 'P'.
  3. Select your 'P' and the square. Select the Unite option (the first option in the pathfinder window). This will merge the 'P' and the square together as one shape.
  4. Draw your new shape over the now filled-in 'P'.
  5. Select the new shape and the 'P' and select the Minus Front option from the pathfinder window (the second option). This will take away the first shape from the second, giving you a "transparent window"

NOTE: Once your 'P' is a shape, you won't be able to use it with the text tool anymore as it's won't be recognized as a letter, but just a shape.

share|improve this answer
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. – SimonBS Nov 5 '12 at 18:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.