Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

With a normal shape, I can select one corner using the direct selection tool and drag to distort:

enter image description here


enter image description here

I want to apply the same type of single-point dragging distortion to the bounding box of a group of shapes, but can't figure out any way to do it.

enter image description here

How could I select the right-bottom corner of this group, and drag to distort the whole group?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You must use the Free Transform tool.

  1. Select all 4 object
  2. Select the Free Transform Tool
  3. Click and hold a corner
  4. then hold the Command/Ctrl key
  5. then drag to perform the distortion

You must do things in this specific order - click, hold key, drag - Any other order will not work. This will not work with the standard bounding box. You must use the Free Transform tool.


Another option, although without live a preview, is....

  1. Group the 4 objects
  2. Then choose Effect > Distort & Transform > Free Distort


share|improve this answer
Scott! You the man. This is really tricky because of the order and because the cursor gives no indicator. Works perfect- thanks--- – Yarin Nov 11 '12 at 14:59
Yes it is a bit tricky, but once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. Other keys do different things, try Command/Ctrl+Option/Alt - with and without shift... etc. You'll get various distortions. – Scott Nov 11 '12 at 15:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.