Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a common feature in old typography where the first word of a page is repeated at the end of the previous page, usually right-aligned on a line by itself. This book from 1759 shows this feature on nearly every page.

For example, page eleven could end with:

A sentence like this starts near the end of page eleven and


On page twelve you find:

then continues at the top of page twelve.

What do you call this feature?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

After some digging, I found it is called a catchword. Read more about it here:

I always assumed this was to improve readability, as the reader could continue more seamlessly onto the following page, but it turns out it was also printed there to aid the bookbinder in ensuring that the pages were in the correct order.

share|improve this answer
And just to make things confusing, 'catchwords' is also a term that applies to these in typography: – DA01 Nov 17 '12 at 5:02
Interestingly, this feature has its roots in ancient papyrus scrolls and manuscripts into the Middle Ages. It's also called a reclamans (plural: reclamantes), from Latin: reclamare 'call out'. Wikipedia: – TehMacDawg Nov 18 '12 at 20:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.