Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What does this symbol in Photoshop CS3 mean? It doesn't look like a standard layer symbol, but yet it has gradient styles on it without any layer effects applied.

enter image description here


share|improve this question

That arrow downwards means it is being clipped. The layer under this one is the clipping mask.

This has the effect that layers deeper down are not affected by this. Only the one directly beneath.

This tecnique is very usefull when using adjustment-, fill- or other effects layers because it limits the effect to just one layer instead of affecting the whole stack.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.