Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know how to achieve this zigzag effect (including the shadow) in Photoshop CS6:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
  1. Pick a sans-serif font
  2. Type a few letter "V"s
  3. On the character palette make the horizontal scale larger and the kerning smaller until it gets a nice wide "V" that touches
  4. Layer Style > Drop Shadow

For step 4 depending on the exact effect you want you're going to need to do some other things probably like rasterize the layer and append a rectangle on to the top of it so when you do the drop shadow it only shows on the bottom. You might also then want to add a layer under it and fine touch it a little with the airbrush because as you see the shadow is a bit darker in the middle then on the edges. A very large soft airbrush right in the middle on a layer underneath should get that effect added in for you.

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer

There is no quick and easy method in Photoshop. THe pen tool and drawing it manually is probably the easiest way.

If you have access to a vector app such as Illustrator, you could simply draw a path then use Effect > Distort & Transform > Zig Zag and then copy the result to Photoshop.

share|improve this answer
Add it as a smart object from Illustrator and then you can always jump back and edit it there if something changes. Personally, I'd just save myself the hassle and build the whole thing in Illy. – plainclothes Nov 23 '12 at 23:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.