Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to emphasize a word in a sentence. I've seen it somewhere but couldn't find the picture. Its like the selected word is normal but all other things are blurry. And maybe the word is closer than the rest. Any tutorial or tips on doing this?

share|improve this question
Are you looking for some filter or particular look, or some method of the text editing tool? What do you mean by "And maybe the word is closer than the rest."? – kontur Dec 6 '12 at 21:29
I meant the depth, like the desired word's depth is less than others'. – AliBZ Dec 6 '12 at 23:20
up vote 6 down vote accepted

In Photoshop, you can manually create a blur effect in everything surrounding your image using the Blur Tool.

enter image description here

For example:

enter image description here

  • Rasterize your text so you have a bitmap image of your text.

  • Duplicate your layer (to keep the original safe!)

  • Select the Blur Tool, choose an opacity of 30% or so, and a brush size of 40px.

  • Start blurring your image from the outside in. First do the borders, then surround the word you want to keep on focus.

  • Repeat the strokes until you achieve the illusion of depth (so the borders are more blurred than the middle).

share|improve this answer
This looks nice, I will try it ASAP. thanx – AliBZ Dec 6 '12 at 23:21
If you're looking for further reference, this is called a "tilt shift" effect. It's a photographic technique. – plainclothes Dec 7 '12 at 0:28
@plainclothes thanks, I didn't know the name! – Yisela Dec 7 '12 at 1:02

You're question could benefit from further info (available software, intended use, what you've tried already, etc). Nonetheless, I'll take a shot.

  1. Set up your main text and duplicate the emphasized word over it.

  2. In Illustrator, the most controllable option would be to apply a feather to the text (Effect > Stylize ... > Feather). Depending on the size, it won't take much: Consider how thick the strokes of your font are. Other blur effects in Illy or Photoshop would work too.

  3. Your emphasized word will remain un-feathered and, thus, emphasized. You can play up the difference by scaling it up or using a darker/brighter color.

I would recommend wiping out the emphasized word in the original text and inserting the necessary clear space in it's place.

share|improve this answer
Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried anything because I have no idea where to start from. I've worked with photoshop, not much, and I know its basics. I will try that with illustrator and let you know. thanx – AliBZ Dec 6 '12 at 20:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.