Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Name and possibly a tutorial for this inset rounded rectangle technique

I'm looking for some special effect to accomplish in Photoshop for both text and a rectangle. Please have a look of below screen cast:

Example image

You can see rectangle with some inside effect and seems empty area. Can anyone guide how to get this effect in Photoshop?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Scott, Yisela, JohnB, Vincent, kontur Feb 4 '13 at 11:25

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

That's called a deboss, the inverse of an emboss. In the digital world it's also come to be known as an inner shadow. – plainclothes Dec 9 '12 at 21:40

This effect is way easier with css, but I'll outline the photoshop technique for you.

Photoshop: You're going to need three layers for this. First layer is for the larger rectangle that contains the one in question.

  1. Layer 1 > Fill with grey background color. Filter > Noise > Add Noise (5% uniform monochromatic). Double click layer to bring up layer style. Bevel and Emboss > 1px, Inner Bevel, Chisel Soft, Angle: 90, Highlight Mode: Normal, 100%, uncheck use global light.
  2. Layer 2 > Select the larger area of the internal rectangle with your rectangle marquee tool. Layer > Fill > White. Right click the first layer, select copy layer style. Right click the second layer, select paste layer style. Set layer fill in the layers pane (directly under opacity) to 0%. Double click the layer to bring up the layer style pane. Check inner shadow (Distance:1(ish)px, Choke:33%, Size:7(ish)px, Quality Gaussian(The one that looks like a sloped hill), anti-aliased).
  3. Layer 3 > Select the smaller area of the internal rectangle with your rectangle marquee tool. Edit > Fill > white. Set layer fill (or opacity) to 15%.
  4. Done
share|improve this answer
CSS: {border-top:1px white; -moz-box-shadow: inset 0 0 10px black; -webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 0 10px black; box-shadow: inset 0 0 10px black;} – mopsyd Dec 9 '12 at 15:09
For the text do the same thing with the inner shadow, set layer fill to 0%. – mopsyd Dec 9 '12 at 15:11

I believe the effect your after is something like this?

enter image description here

This effect is easily made in Photoshop:

1) Create your shape (or text) that you want to have this effect.

2) Lower the Fill to 0%

3) Open up the layer styles and apply the Inner Shadow & Bevel and Emboss effect, or any other effects you would like.

enter image description here

This creates a transparent shapes/text that has effects on it.

share|improve this answer

i made a video here you can watch it basically you drop shadow and turn its blending from multiply to normal and color to white and then adjust and have inner shadow it is really simple.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.