Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm curious about the background of . I've seen something similar on a couple of other sites too.

What's it called?

How can I create something like with a different color?

Thanks for any pointers. I'm a non-designer trying to learn some design.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

enter image description here

Both header and body part having gradient and inner shadow with some amount of noise. Play with sliders and you'll get the same result. I tried a bit just to show you; change values according to your needs...

share|improve this answer
This looks very close! Thank you! – curiousguy Mar 17 '11 at 14:15

It's called grey.

But if you're talking about the header, it looks like it's a vertical gradient with either gaussian noise or another gradient overlaid with a layer style of "Dissolve"

share|improve this answer

If you mean the background for the majority of the page, it's a linear gradient from white at the top to light grey at the bottom, and any graphics application will have a gradient fill tool which will interpolate between two or more colours.

Exactly how it works is dependent on the application.

(The other answers mention noise, which is interesting, as I can't differentiate it at all on my screen from the "background noise" of video compression - I'm remotely accessing a VM)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.