Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Before my question gets marked as duplicate let me explain that I did my research. This question is about Photoshop CS6. Hopefully the feature was added in this version. Before posting I looked up Google and this and that but didn't find an answer for CS6.

So the question is: Is there a feature within CS6 or a script that allows to resize a vector element with rounded corners without using the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow tool) and not changing the border radius? What would be great would be something like simply using the transform tool or something like a grid resize tool.

share|improve this question
I started using Sketch which is great for web/UI design. Rounded rectangles are builtin. – iDev247 Dec 31 '14 at 3:31
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The simple answer is: No.

I have asked Adobe to add the feature. If you'd like to see it, please vote here:

Photoshop: It would be good if the roundrect vector tool corner radius was editable during and after drawing

And now some good news. David Jensen has written a nice little script to help. It's not perfect (doesn't handle multiple shapes on the one layer), but it does the trick in many situtions.

The script allows you to transform shapes (distorting them), then you can reapply the corners. You will need to remember the radius you used though.

enter image description here

Rounded Rectangle Radius Resizer

The screenshot shows Windows, but the script also works on the Mac version of Photoshop.

share|improve this answer
This. Will save me so much time. Just resize with Free Transform Tool then run the script and BAM! – iDev247 Dec 20 '12 at 6:50
Wooop. Looks like your prayers were answered. This feature is in Creative Cloud – Adam Schuld Aug 13 '13 at 13:17

I found a workaround. Using the menu command Image->Image Size... (Alt+Cntl+I) scales the rounded corners with the shape. So a rounded rectangle with 50 radius corners resampled with this method to half the size will now have 25 radius corners.

Since the shape is vector it won't degrade the quality of the graphic. If you don't want to resample the entire image you can drag the shape into a new document, resample, then drag back.

Hope this helps someone out there.

share|improve this answer

No , Photoshop doesn't have a direct feature that does this for you.You could try writing a script for this or as a work around use the shapes tool and create the shape and delete and create it again if u need to change it.

you can use the shapes tool like this :

To access it you can press and hold the ellipse icon below the black arrow icon(path selection tool) and select rounded rectangle and draw using it.The shapes are drawn using paths and you can re-size them anytime you want and even change colors and set individual styles.

Or you will have to do using a rectangular marque tool and create a rectangle and smooth it out to the required radius

share|improve this answer
Big mistake on my part: I forgot to mention resizing rounded rectangles without altering the border radius (and like originally mentioned without using the Direct Selection Tool) – iDev247 Dec 20 '12 at 6:33

If you have Illustrator CS6 you can create a rectangle, select your rectangle go to menu effect > stylize > round corners then select the proper styling for rounded corners. Finally copy/paste as a smart object into Photoshop.

share|improve this answer

After drawing the rectangle check on the "Show transformation Control" check box on the top.. You will get the handles to resize the rectangle..

share|improve this answer
Is this in Photoshop CC? I think I found a video of rounded corners. Check the video on this page at 1:28. – iDev247 Dec 31 '14 at 3:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.