Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does this mosaic technique have a name? I want to learn how to create images like this:

Marquee of InDesign CS6: Marquee of InDesign CS6

And random image of a girl I found on the web:


It combines many almost random but thematically or stylistically similar images, newspaper clippings, letters and snippets of text, etc to create one rough, chaotic, energetic image.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I'd call it a bricolage.

In the visual arts bricolage is the construction or creation of a work from a diverse range of things that happen to be available, or a work created by such a process. The term is borrowed from the French word bricolage.

Other names it may be known by:

  • Merz
  • Polystylism
  • Collage
  • Assemblage
share|improve this answer

Mosaic or collage are as good a term as any. You could also try deconstructivist.

Try a search and see what you find.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.