Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to get this look in Photoshop or by any other online application?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Which part of the image's look do you want to replicate? It just looks like a black and white image with high contrast so the shadow regions are completely black. Convert to greyscale then using Levels will do that in Photoshop. – Marc Edwards Jan 5 '13 at 10:07
Convert to gray scale -> add some guassian blur -> save it at the highest JPG compression rate. – DA01 Jan 5 '13 at 14:14

That's not so much a Photoshop thing as it is a photographic technique. It's just a high contrast shot with spot lighting. The Photography SE could give you pointers for reproducing this in camera.

If you must do it in Photoshop to an existing image, there is some hope.

  • Mask off the various regions of the photo from the desired highlight to the shadow and some way to progressively adjust between the two. You could feather the shadow side, for instance.

  • Use adjustment layers with those masks applied to get the lighting right. There are a lot of options here depending on the photo: Curves, levels, exposure, etc.

  • This style usually comes with a bit of graininess too. If you want that, apply the film grain effect.

share|improve this answer
Just to extend: This photographic technique is called low-key photographing and is all about the lighting setup. For more info: – K3N Jan 6 '13 at 1:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.