Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sort of like a spirograph? Like that old Mistify screensaver for windows. I feel like it shows up a lot as an abstract shape in the background of things.

Trying to think of the best way to make one myself or the best search terms to dig up some photshop brushes (I tried wireframe and spirograph with a few good results). I want a sort of pattern that is similar that could run along a straight edge and fade away (by being less dense) away from it.

mistify screensaver

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

You should search Guilloché (Guilloche) if it's not digital smoke you looking for.

share|improve this answer
Guilloche is definitely the term as Daniel pointed out, I do want to share a great Illustrator plugin that can help make these patterns.. it is a lot of fun actually:… – Damon Apr 1 '11 at 23:09

I don't think there's an official name for it but line morphs fit the description. If you take it a bit further with gradients instead of line strokes, you can call it digital smoke.

share|improve this answer
It's like a wireframe of digital smoke! – koiyu Mar 22 '11 at 8:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.