Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to fill a rectangular marquee area with a gradient that stretches from the left to the right of the rectangular marquee area, starting at one color and ending at a second color. This is easy to do in Photoshop and I know how to do this.

However, I would like the entire gradient to fade to transparent at the TOP and BOTTOM (i.e., in the perpendicular direction). If I desired this effect in the horizontal direction, it would be easy to do in Photoshop because I would just set the "smoothness" parameters of the gradient as desired, along with the color parameters.

However, because I want the fade to transparency to occur in the VERTICAL direction, while the color gradient occurs in the HORIZONTAL direction, I do not know how to do this.

How can a create a color gradient in one direction, while setting a fade to transparency in the perpendicular direction, in Photoshop CS5?

share|improve this question
You could create this effect with a gradient mesh in Illustrator. – OghmaOsiris Jan 14 '13 at 6:03
up vote 5 down vote accepted

You can create this effect in photoshop by creating the gradient fill you want, then adding a layer mask to the layer with another white to black gradient on the mask perpendicular to your first gradient.

Screen Shot

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.