Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am pretty sure I'm not using the right terminology, but I'm trying to create the same effect in this image:

enter image description here

Is there any way to do this in Illustrator? What is the proper terminology for that effect? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I don't even know how to google that effect.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

This is called 'extruding' an object. In illustrator, select your text and apply the Extrude & Bevel effect (Effect > 3D > Extrude & Bevel...). Check the 'preview' box and play around with the options in the dialogue box that appears to get the desired result.

enter image description here

You don't have to expand your text before applying the effect. This way, you can change the text after applying.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.