Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When transforming in photoshop if you alt+shift then drag a corner you can skew both corners. The other corners being at side that is opposite in terms of horizontal and vertical depending on the direction that corner is being adjusted. And other corner moves inversely. This helps in making perspective. I can't do this in Illustrator. Is it possible to do it?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes, it is possible with Free Transform Tool:

  1. Select Free Transform Tool or press E.
  2. Click and hold one of the corners of the object's bounding box and then press and hold Ctrl / Cmd (it is important to press Ctrl after clicking a corner). You will see that now you can drag this corner.
  3. Now, without releasing both Ctrl and the mouse button, press and hold Alt+Shift and the tool will work just as you want in your question.
share|improve this answer
why is it this complicated... – Muhammad Umer Feb 2 '13 at 18:48
Honestly, I have no idea why. Having a separate tool named Free Transform Tool I would myself expect it to work in a less complicated manner... – Const Feb 2 '13 at 18:53
i am learning illustrator, coming from photoshop, i stumble on things again and again that could be simpler and robust. Like choosing color. – Muhammad Umer Feb 2 '13 at 23:20
Command/Ctrl makes the Free Transform Tool operate like the Sheer tool.. so..... Yes this works, but if the modifier keys are too much, just use the Sheer Tool. – Scott Aug 12 '15 at 20:17

Free Transform works. There's also a Shear Tool:

shear tool

As well as Object > Transform > Shear or right-click/control-click and choose Transform > Shear from the contextual menu.

share|improve this answer
yea but it is different it moves both points – Muhammad Umer Feb 2 '13 at 23:18
This doesn't answer the question. The OP wants to skew, not shear. – user48305 Aug 12 '15 at 19:34
Don't get hung up on Adobe's mis-use of different terms to do the same thing. Shear in Illustrator is the same as Skew in Photoshop. They operate a bit differently, but both accomplish the same thing. – Scott Aug 12 '15 at 19:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.