Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm seeing a trend (especially on pinterest) of these posters where the image and subject is the text. THe text itself isn't really that important either, it's mainly the typefaces used and composition.

Does this style have a name to it? Is it just called text-as-image?

enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I'd generally call this kind of graphics typographic artwork or, from the times when these advertising graphics and commercial signage were drawn by hand, lettering artwork. This is especially true for the second example (blue). The first one maybe not so much.

See also: letter art.

There is also a different genre of graphics called 'typographic art'.

share|improve this answer

These aren't anything specific other than nostalgic/retro.

The first one is emulating newsprint using a course line screen. It appears to be using wood type-style typefaces as well (an odd mix of styles, actually).

The second one is just a classy type lock-up with lots of borders and embellishments.

share|improve this answer

Both of those would be retro styles. The first one is also (and mostly) grunge

This is how I have tagged them and mostly how I have seem them tagged by others

share|improve this answer
It's interesting that people see this as "retro", particularly the bottom one. – thomasrutter Feb 5 '13 at 4:08
is there any other ways to see them (now i am interested to know myself)? obviously besides typographic – aurel Feb 5 '13 at 4:17
Well retro usually refers to something that was trendy a number of decades earlier, whereas I don't think that second one in particular is referencing any particular earlier trend. That sort of typographic play seems very trendy right now, actually, and if I had to pick which decade it came from, I'd say the current one. – thomasrutter Feb 5 '13 at 4:31
here is a list of retro typography… and the "live together forever" design seems the same as the second one. Also this old style designs are popular today, but I dont think that makes the style new. I dont know, just a thought. – aurel Feb 5 '13 at 5:07
I don't think that one is retro either (even though a lot of the other stuff in that article is). But that's just me! At no point did I say you were wrong - just that it's not the way I think of it. – thomasrutter Feb 5 '13 at 5:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.