Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am having trouble finding help on my own since I do not know the names of these effects. Here's the reference image:


  1. How do I replicate the impressed circle effect behind the button? I tried playing with the inner shadow blending option with a radial gradient, but I failed to match the spherical depth shown in the image. I also tried using the bevel and emboss option, and while the produced effect is more accurate, I cannot duplicate the sharpness of the circle's edges, as well as the subtle highlight at its bottom. (I do not know how to add blending options to an emboss).
  2. How do I reproduce the shape of the actual button in Photoshop? I've found tutorials on orb-like buttons and flat, raised ones, but the button in the image has a depth and shape that is a combination of the two. (Similar to a flat pebble).

If someone could lead to terms for these effects, that would be really helpful as well.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I created a double gradient effect and added a very faint outerglow for the inner circle to give it some texture.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
I upvoted yisela's answer since she answered both of my points, but I ended up using a combination of both of your suggested techniques. Thanks! – unblevable Feb 3 '13 at 22:19
You can upvote more than 1 – OghmaOsiris Feb 3 '13 at 22:20
Oh, I meant accepted. I don't have enough rep to vote up right now.. – unblevable Feb 3 '13 at 22:35

For the surrounding circle you can use two layers, one on top of the other, both with Fill: 0% and Inner Shadow:

enter image description here

  • Bkgr Layer 1 has a white inner shadow at -90 degrees (blend mode normal).
  • Bkgr Layer 2 has a black inner shadow at 90 degrees.
  • Button has Bevel & Emboss and drop shadow.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.