Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional graphic designers and non-designers trying to do their own graphic design. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it possible to get something much like a guide in Photoshop, but such that I can set it any angle? I have Photoshop CS4 Extended.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

Nope. Not in Photoshop. You can do this in Illustrator, but not (for some reason) in Photoshop. There are a few alternatives to achieve a similar thing:

You can, as jhocking mentioned, create a new path in another layer.

You can also use the Vanishing Point tool to create an angled grid. Create a new layer and then in the Vanishing Point use the Create a new Plane tool to draw the angled guide as you want it. From the little options drop-down, select Render Grids to Photoshop.

A third option is to use the Ruler tool to rotate your whole image as needed. To do this, select the Ruler Tool (shortcut: I), draw an angled line with it, select Image → Image Rotation → Arbitrary… which will open Rotate Canvas dialog with your angle already set.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Unfortunately you can't do that in Photoshop. The best approximation is to create a new top layer, use the Line tool on that layer, and then lock the layer.

You could also draw a path with the Pen tool. That has the disadvantage of not letting you see multiple paths at the same time, but the advantage is the guide line will look better when zoomed in.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.