Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

hand colored effect

How do you create a hand colored effect, like in the image above, using either Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop? I'd like to know how they colored the arrows and how to add a rough gradient like the one on the blue box.

share|improve this question
Looks like it was done with colored pencils on a sheet of paper to me. What makes you think it was done on the computer? – Ryan Feb 25 '13 at 14:25
I would bet that was done an a computer. The texture is not right for colored pencil at the scale it would have to be to hide the stroke marks. The saturation and gradient is not right for water-color. The closest you could get to that is stippling. And no other medium approaches that texture. Also the file folders are identical. I would guess that was done by an experienced artist familiar with color pencil using Photoshop. For you purposes it would likely be best to just create it by hand and scan it. – brnnnrsmssn Feb 26 '13 at 0:31
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It does look like scanned and manipulated art. The folders are obviously a dupe, but possibly was conceived as a stand-alone icon and then duplicated. A lot of the brush work looks responsive, which makes me wonder a little about whether it was automatically generated or not.

However, in Photoshop, you can simulate colored pencil using brush dynamics (window>brushes).

Your taste will differ from mine, but I made a preset by selecting one of the "smear" or "splotch" default brushes, and enabling "Scattering" with "Scatter" at 233% on "Both Axes" and a "count" of 7. I then set the brush "flow" to 10%.

I made a layer with a regular brush to draw the outline of a box, and then a layer below that using my brush preset for the shading effects. I painted it using black, and turned on the "color overlay" layer effect.

enter image description here

Note that I drew this with my mouse, so artistic critiques will be met with extreme lugubriosity.

share|improve this answer
+1 for teaching me a new word! lu·gu·bri·ous adjective \lu̇-ˈgü-brē-əs also -ˈgyü-\ 1: mournful; especially : exaggeratedly or affectedly mournful <dark, dramatic and lugubrious brooding — V. S. Pritchett> 2: dismal <a lugubrious landscape> – DA01 Feb 26 '13 at 21:37
It was a toss up between that and "pouty" :O – horatio Feb 26 '13 at 21:38
Thank you, horatio! I am so glad that you taught us how to create that effect, even if the original was hand drawn. – PixelGraph Feb 27 '13 at 17:32

You can always look for Photoshop/illustrator brushes but its probably just handmade. If you are going for a hand colored effect, why not hand color it (and then scan it)?

share|improve this answer

I think it looks like it was done by hand & scanned.

share|improve this answer
+1. Most 'hand drawn' effects in digital files are, indeed, actually hand drawn effects scanned in. – DA01 Feb 26 '13 at 21:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.