Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just discovered the "asterism" today:

Super cool. I had never heard of it or seen it before. Wikipedia has more about it.

What other typographic symbols are out there that were never all that popular or have fallen out of favor? What were they used for?

I placed in two that I know as a community wiki; I encourage others to build out a list.

share|improve this question
pouring over unicode tables will reveal a cornucopia of hidden type symbols, virtually most of which i didn't know existed, let alone we could use – albert May 7 '14 at 8:52
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Asterism - ⁂ - "[U]sed to 'indicate minor breaks in text,' call attention to a passage, or to separate sub-chapters in a book."

Currency Symbol - ¤ - "[U]sed to denote a currency when the symbol for the particular currency is unavailable."

Interrobang - ‽ - "[U]sed in various written languages and intended to combine the functions of the question mark...and the exclamation mark"

Sound Recording Copyright Symbol - ℗ - "[T]he copyright symbol used to provide notice of copyright in a sound recording (phonogram) embodied in a phonorecord (LPs, audiotapes, cassettes, compact discs, etc.)"

share|improve this answer
I want to know where you found those on your keyboard. – Lauren Ipsum Mar 7 '13 at 22:16
I don't think "interrobang" is nearly extinct. I would expect the usage of "?!" or "!?" to be quite common, and, until now, considered the pair of glyphs as the intended meaning of the word instead of just a typographical representation. Now, the actual interrobang glyph "‽" as explained by Wikipedia... certainly rare. Neither of them I'd say would be "going extinct", as I don't expect the usage of Unicode standards to stop anytime soon. – JayC Mar 7 '13 at 22:18
@JayC - I've never seen the interrobang glyph in the wild before. And if you read into it, it was never really mainstream anyways, but certainly an interesting footnote to typographic history :) – Brendan Mar 7 '13 at 23:00
::rimshot:: No seriously... did you just copy them from the Wiki page, or is there some mysterious Vulcan nerve pinch you do on the keyboard to generate them? – Lauren Ipsum Mar 8 '13 at 0:05
Interrobang is unicode x203D (8253 in base10). As to how you get them, it depends on OS. In windows, you hold alt key down and type the 4 digit decimal code on numpad, then release the alt key. The typeface must have the glyph, but since it is OS based, the technique is generally software agnostic. Note that unicode can cause issues with non-unicode aware/capable programs. In that case the best case is an ugly or missing character. (for other OS, see… ) – horatio Mar 8 '13 at 20:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.