Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to chop up an image into blocks of lets say 10x10px (the size is arbitrary). The blocks can only have one color and therefore it is allowed that the image will be slightly changed (its the intention that the blocks are visible).

How is this process called? Is there software or a web service that automates this?

share|improve this question
Do you mean like this… but not necessarily 1px each? If so, the exact same method works, just adjust the numbers. Or do you mean something like this - chopping an image into tiles? – user568458 Mar 25 '13 at 11:16
Its like the first one. Because every tile can only contain one color. – Jarco Mar 25 '13 at 11:28

Ok I found it in gimp thanks to user568458.

Filters > Distorts > mosaic

Tiling primitives > Squares Tile neatness 1 Color variation 0

Allow tile splitting disabled color averaging enabled

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.