Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I've seen variations of this idea... in HTML, the <hr /> tag creates a horizontal line that can be used as a spacing tool to separate headings, blocks of content, etc... I'd like to create such a line using Photoshop and have it look like this...

enter image description here
Click image for full resolution

How would I do this in Photoshop? Are there tutorials dedicated to this?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by JohnB Jan 14 '14 at 21:12

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Have a look at graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/1441/… for answers to a similar question. –  Sean Apr 16 '11 at 4:19

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted
  1. Use Marquee tool to create a line.

    Step 1: Line

  2. Use Marquee tool to create a section above the line and fill the selection with a gradient.

    Step 2: Gradient

  3. Mask the layer with a vertically-reflected gradient (Opaque at the middle, transparent at the edges)

    Step 3: Isolated layer mask

  4. Done!


share|improve this answer
In Photoshop, one might change step 2 above to: apply a layer style using gradient or drop shadow." This would make later fiddling and adjustment easier. –  horatio Apr 15 '11 at 17:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.