Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to revolve a 2D shape so that the final 3D shape has a segmented style. See below:

enter image description here

I'm sure there's an automated way to do this, but I haven't yet found how. Anyone know?

share|improve this question

There's really no easy way to accomplish this with Illustrator.

One thing is for certain, the 3D Effect won't do it.

You can try a blend with various steps predefined for the blend.

Quick crude example:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
I think Scott has the right idea. 1. Create your base shape. 2. Scale it for the other extreme. 3. Blend the two and adjust the steps until you're happy. 4. Use an x-axis flip to mirror the other side. – plainclothes Apr 24 '13 at 21:06

Here is what I did in CS3:

  1. Draw a curve with the pen tool.

  2. Go to Effect > 3D > Revolve

  3. X axis(red) = 0, Y axis (green) = -180, rotation (blue) = 0

  4. Click OK

My version isn't pretty, but with a few tweaks you can get it to what you need. I don't have enough rep to post the screenshots I took for you, but I think this should get you started.

share|improve this answer
The restriction on posting images is a big pain... one way to work around it where the image is an important part of the question or answer is to upload the image to something like imgur directly then post a link to it. – user568458 Apr 25 '13 at 15:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.