Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There used to be a way to do masking tricks to create rounded polygon corners in Photoshop, but I can't seem to find anything for accomplishing the same trick in Photoshop CS6. Does anyone out there have a solution?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

share|improve this question
Seems to be the case. I spent hours today trying to do it and finally gave up and opened up AI and did it in 10s. I still would love to know if there's a trick in PS. – Stephen M. Walker II Apr 4 '13 at 5:59
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It can also be done with a layer mask over the vector shape.

Create your polygon, then load the layers selection by Command-Clicking (Ctrl-click on pc) on the vector mask.

Pentagon with marquee selection

Then go to Select>Modify>Smooth. Enter the smooth amount.

enter image description here

After that it's just a matter of creating a layer mask based on the now rounded selection.

enter image description here

Now you have your rounded polygon fairly quickly and easily. You could also manually edit the shape with by adding points and using the convert point tool, but that would involve a great deal more work.

share|improve this answer

It's a trick, no more, but it gets the job done: give your polygon a stroke layer effect and align the stroke outside. With thicker strokes, the effect is rounded. No control over the roundness, though...

share|improve this answer

there is an option for polygon (radius) click on the small arrow behind the shape button (: enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.