Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any hotkey assigned for entering into text-editing mode with Type tool in illustrator? Without using too much mouse clicking, this would be definitely helpful for my design work productivity. I wonder if there is any for this?

Any advice would be very much appreciate?

share|improve this question
You mean something other than hitting T to load the cursor? – plainclothes May 1 '13 at 4:31
Press the "T" key to select Type Tool – Bala May 1 '13 at 5:25
Usually, in Fireworks at least, you hover over a tool to show its title with the hotkey in brackets (if assigned) – M_Willett May 1 '13 at 11:51

T for the type tool or simply double-click text to enter editing mode.

share|improve this answer
...and then when you're in a text frame, Escape takes you out of it and puts you back into selection mode (V), and automatically selects the text frame you were in. Same in InDesign, Photoshop etc. – user568458 May 2 '13 at 8:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.