Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional graphic designers and non-designers trying to do their own graphic design. It's 100% free, no registration required.


I've been looking all over for a plugin or brush that will help me take a photo and reduce it to that 'electric look' (or fractal?) that i'm seeing in various places. I'd vastly prefer one for Gimp. Does anyone know how these are being done? I'm seening references to fractalius for photoshop, but what about gimp?


enter image description here

enter image description here

share|improve this question
This iterative edge-finding filter is, technically, not "fractal." –  horatio May 23 '13 at 21:37
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

A GIMP plugin which comes close to this effect is the "Rodilius effect" from the GREYC's Magic for Image Computing (G'MIC) plugin collection.

enter image description here
Image source: GIMP plugin registry

share|improve this answer
I'd swear i replied to this months ago, but thank you Takkat. This was just what i was looking for! –  Bearcat Jan 1 at 21:11
add comment

It's just Fractalis:


No idea if GIMP is supported.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.