Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm using Illustrator (CS5) to create a menu for a restaurant.

In a word doc, I have a tab at the end of a textcolumn. It's a 'right'-aligned tabstop. So my text resembles this:

food                    100 $
wine                100.000 $
happiness                42 $

Pretty basic. How do I get this in Illustrator?

Right now I have a word document that I want to copy in Illustrator since I want to step up my game. I know how to work with Illustrator, the basics, but not much about text-aligning/layouting.

I know that it's not a bad idea to use inDesign but I neither possess the skill nor the software. It would surprise me if this is not possible in Illustrator. If there are any obvious/easy ways to get a word doc + fonts/layout into Illustrator, I'd be happy to hear 'em.


share|improve this question
for clearance: I don't need the "_____" line, it's just there cause I was afraid my spaces might get truncated. – joon Apr 28 '11 at 13:39
I found out that you can import .Docx (word 2007) files into Illustrator. It imports the tabs, but I have no idea how to recreate the effect. For example if I want to move it around, add new ones, ... – joon Apr 28 '11 at 13:49
up vote 8 down vote accepted

You can use tabs or columns to achieve that effect.

  • TABS

    Open your Tabs palette using Window -> Type -> Tabs (Ctrl + Shift + T)

    Illustrator Tabs


    1. Create an area Text object add columns via Type -> Area Type Options...

    enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Use your tabs, then open the paragraph window and adjust the left indent. It will bring the start of the line in, but won't move the tab forward. Unfortunatley you can only do the the first tab.

share|improve this answer

there is indeed a right indent tab feature. the tab stop however needs to be set to an absolute value — so when you adjust the size of the text box you'll also need to modify the tab stop.

share|improve this answer
The main answer (how to do the tab) is in your given link. Now suppose the link is broken or the page has vanished. Then your answer is useless for a reader. Please write by your own how to create such a tab. – Kurt Dec 12 '14 at 11:49
thx kurt — you are right. i'll try to be a better StackExchange citizen. will update when i'll find the time. – Frank Lämmer Dec 13 '14 at 20:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.