Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Imagine I have a black disc. I would like to create a gradient around the disc, whose value is white 100% opacity on the border of the disc and white 0% opacity at the end of the gradient.

Now, replace the disc with any other object : I want to do something similar.

Is it possible ?

share|improve this question
Do you mean an outer glow? – KMSTR Jun 20 '13 at 7:13
Yes, the effect is quite good. Do you know if there would be other way to do it ? – Colas Jun 20 '13 at 7:28
Other than what? – KMSTR Jun 20 '13 at 21:28
Other than with the "outer glow" method. I am totally satisfied by the result and so I wanted to know if there is another way to do it. – Colas Jun 21 '13 at 10:08
You can try abusing the drop shadow tool or build an offset shape with a gradient or gradient mesh. There is always another way. But it's really just experimenting. – KMSTR Jun 21 '13 at 18:43

If you want add outer-glow to object, goto menu Effect » Stylize » Outer Glow.
it will display a popup. Now change the value.enter image description here

share|improve this answer

If you want to fade your object into another colour or background, you can use the Feather tool.

Go to Effect > Stylize > Feather and then play around with the distance, opacity and transparency until you're happy with the result.

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.