Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Many designs use one typeface for body text and another, contrasting typeface for headings. Is there an "official" term typographers use for the contrasting typeface in a design?

share|improve this question
I call it using "contrasting typefaces" – DA01 Jun 20 '13 at 16:17

In their blog, FontShop call it pairing.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, but that's not the word I'm looking for. Paring is the art of finding two typefaces that work well together. I'm looking for the best term to describe only one typeface of such a pair. – marcvangend Jun 20 '13 at 22:33

I don't know that there is a specific term other than perhaps juxtaposition. But that's not directly related to typefaces. Juxtaposition is a common concept in design.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.