Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.


I know this, but I can't recollect at all.

What is this thing called?

They are usually centered in a book or writing and I'm certain they have a name but I can't remember for the life of me. They also come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

share|improve this question
The style of image is called a "flourish", though, I don't know what it may be called in terms of an article or book. Maybe a "flourish separator"? –  Jacedc Jun 26 '13 at 21:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Flourish, Filigree, or Ornament are common terms.

Usage doesn't generally change the name. Simply because it's been used by the book designer to separate content, there's no special term I'm aware of for that specific type of usage.

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much. Filigree is what I think I had heard it called, that sounds familiar. Very grateful. –  randomblink Jun 27 '13 at 13:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.