Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking to create a tube with an effect like the following - the cylindrical segments which come together to make a pipe. I was wondering how this might be achieved; You could layer ellipsis with lighting effects over each other, but does anyone know of an alternative method to achieve?

Yes, it looks something like a hoover pipe.

Hoover pipe

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

make the basic apperance of the tube with illustrator's pattern feature -

then you can add the fancy pancy stuff (like glows, bevels and shadows) in photoshop

share|improve this answer
Ah, Brilliant! Didn't think anyone would have an idea, but this looks good :) Thanks – Barney Jul 2 '13 at 12:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.