Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to create a noise effect using Adobe Illustrator.

Inside the hexagonal shape there is some kind of texture effect, I don't know what the name of this effect is:

enter image description here

How can I create such an effect in Adobe Illustrator? or is it created using Photoshop?

share|improve this question

In Illustrator.... Effect > Texture > Grain

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
How to make the grains monotone? – Aero Windwalker Mar 25 '15 at 14:56

You can create this in Illustrator, but this is Photoshop's wheelhouse. Raster effects is where Photoshop excels. I honestly would look for a texture via sites like Texture King and then apply those effects in masked layers (maybe even using some blending modes), but you can create simpler texture effects with the use of Photoshop effects.

share|improve this answer

use Effects > artistic > film grain

keep hilighted areas at max and tweak the other settings

you will get better grain that the usual texture > grain

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.