Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional graphic designers and non-designers trying to do their own graphic design. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to understand Adobe Illustrator's color conversion method between RGB/HSB and CMYK. I'm pretty sure they use ICC profiles to do the conversion, and they make a bunch of ICC profiles available for download (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3680).

I can't match the conversion using a combination of those profiles to Illustrator's color picker.

What RGB and CMYK ICC profiles does Illustrator use in its color picker?

share|improve this question
It may be important to realize that, unlike Photoshop, Illustrator does not color manage the color picker.. your OS does. –  Scott Jul 19 '13 at 23:22
@Scott the color pickers will give different results on Windows and OSX? –  ARolek Jul 20 '13 at 3:57
The color picker... the box which appears when you double-click the fill color, for example, is OS managed in Illustrator. So yes, it's possible to get different colors on Windows and Mac for the color picker inside Illustrator. The color picker is not as integrated into Illustrator as it is in other Adobe apps. The Color Panel is managed by Illustrator, but not the color picker. –  Scott Jul 20 '13 at 5:29
@Scott understood. So what I'm trying to do is mimic the conversion that Illustrator (I guess the OS in this case) presents to the user, but programmatically on a linux server. How can I figure out what profiles the OS is doing for the conversion? –  ARolek Jul 20 '13 at 16:25
worth pointing out that regardless of what profile or colour picker your apps use, you will always get a shift when moving a document between mac and windows. in fact you are practically guaranteed a shift when moving between 2 macs! –  stephencosh Jul 22 '13 at 19:51
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.