Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've applied the 'Oil Paint' Smart Filter to a layer in Photoshop CS6. I'd like to animate the filter's 'Angular Direction' from 0 to 360 degrees but I the keyframes in the "Style" lane of the Timeline don't seem to work for this.

Is there a quick way to achieve this effect? I have limited knowledge of scripting / batch actions in Photoshop, would that be a route worth investigating to achieve this effect?

share|improve this question
I have faced this problem and the only solution I came to was duplicating the smart object for every keyframe, then changing the filter on each. It was a bit of work but it also has the benefit that the content of the smart object can be exchanged. Ergo, the file is very reusable. –  KMSTR Jul 23 '13 at 10:02

1 Answer 1

I suggest you do this in After Effects instead.

Photoshop may have animated features to make GIFs but it is not an animation program. Adobe's After Effects is what you want to use and you'll find that ANY effect you are trying to animate in Photoshop will not only take less of your time but will look, um... infinitely better in the end. Good luck.

share|improve this answer
Could you maybe explain how to do this in After Effects? It might be not as straighforward for a new AE user. –  Bart Arondson Mar 2 '14 at 7:38
Bart - I really can't as I'm basically telling you to use a new program but... if you open After Effects and see that essentially you have photoshop layers WITH a timeline... it's not that bad of a transition. –  Brock Vond Mar 2 '14 at 18:01
So you want to have the FILL of an object fill up like water? or you just want to animate the gradient FILL of an object... that's how i understand your dilemma and both of those are easy to do in After Effects... you'd want to search for a Tutorial about animating fill and stroke... you'll probably see one for TEXT but will apply to a shape as well just the same. –  Brock Vond Mar 2 '14 at 18:06
Also you could do a Google Search for the TYPE of animation you are trying to do in PS and just look for the tutorial in AE. You're bound to see someone doing what you wish to do... I just can't walk you through it cause I don't know exactly what you're trying to do but... AE's learning curve is shockingly low if you've used any other Adobe product mostly. Good luck! is there a StackOF for AE? –  Brock Vond Mar 2 '14 at 18:07
It's not for myself (I'm not the OP), I just pointed it out such that future users who find this question don't just get redirected to AE, but directly have a place to start. video.stackexchange.com is an SE site for video related question (that includes AE). –  Bart Arondson Mar 2 '14 at 18:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.