Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call wireframe-like projection images of technical objects?

Like the rocket images below:

enter image description here

This is not an actual wireframe because empty spaces are not filled with a grid; only notable features are displayed.

share|improve this question
Blueprint or diagram would both work. – Keavon Nov 10 '14 at 23:17

Two words: "Technical Drawing".

Simply enter "techical drawing" in the search-box of your favorite search engine. You'll find a whole universe of such "drawings".


Related to your example: that's a technical drawing comparing Russian rocket type heights. They are drawn according to ISO 128 Technical drawings — General principles of presentation. (In case you're curious, has some more info on that.)

example via

The above example is from but NASA has some nice technical drawings too (even old ones like and don't miss out on which has modern versions including color illustrations based on technical drawings.

example via

share|improve this answer

It's merely an Illustration. - Pen & Ink, Line Drawing, etc.

I don't know that I would even go so far as to call it a "technical drawing" since all the technical aspects aren't drawn. It's merely a line drawing.

share|improve this answer
Though it may not be used strictly for engineering purposes, the style is still usually referred to as technical. – plainclothes Aug 5 '13 at 16:51
I would not call that image a technical drawing. It's simply a line drawing. – Scott Aug 5 '13 at 17:16
Technical drawings are line drawings executed with a keen eye on scale and usually annotated as such. Within the very broad category of line drawings, the overall style of the OP's example is extremely similar to the sub-category of technical line drawings. How about "technical style"? Agree to disagree perhaps. – plainclothes Aug 5 '13 at 17:30
You are not going to change my mind, plainclothes. That's simply a line drawing, not a technical drawing. – Scott Aug 5 '13 at 17:33
I didn't suppose I would ;) I'm just stating my case (and presumably e-sushi's) for the community at large. – plainclothes Aug 5 '13 at 17:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.