Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

How would you draw something like that blue border above, where there's a solid line that fades out to total transparency on one side, in GIMP?

share|improve this question

I just noticed the little GIMP tag, a quick search enabled me to find this tutorial for creating an 'Inner Glow' type effect in GIMP

The layer style Inner Glow in Photoshop, and equivalents in other software, will do that for you:

layer style inner glow

share|improve this answer
Thank you. Even though I went a different direction, having gotten to know the keywords "inner glow" helped me research this further. – Smig Aug 9 '13 at 21:59
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I found a simple way to achieve my goal by downloading the Gimp plugin Layer Effects, which adds an inner glow effect, among others, like what I imagine Photoshop already has built-in.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.