Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been trying to figure out the name of this portfolio style. Is it as simple as Staggered?

Example 1

enter image description here

I'm attempting to do something similar, but I have no idea what the style is called. I've searched for staggered, but no satisfactory results.

share|improve this question
Among the general public it's probably best known as the style used in Pinterest, so if someone doesn't know what you mean by " masonry style", "Pinterest style" might get across the type of columns of thumbnails – user568458 Aug 18 '13 at 19:25
Yes, that's right! I forgot Pinterest uses this style. – ckpepper02 Aug 18 '13 at 19:57
up vote 8 down vote accepted

It's called Masonry after bricklaying terminology.

jQuery has plug ins to accomplish such layouts.

share|improve this answer
Aha! Thanks Scott. – ckpepper02 Aug 18 '13 at 17:42
Thanks for the link too! I'm using it for my project. – ckpepper02 Aug 18 '13 at 21:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.