Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is this kind of 3D text effect called? It's made with either overprinted letters, or different colored layers into a fake 3D effect.

enter image description here

share|improve this question

The 'effect' is simply called a 'bevel'.

You can emulate it to an extent using any number of bevel filters in a variety of illustration and design software products, but in this particular example, it was drawn this way. Either in a program such as Adobe Illustrator, or by using an existing typeface already drawn this way. An example of such a face is Detroit.

As a typeface, the effect is achieved by layering different variants of the same typeface--each variant a separate color you can create.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.