Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have to search for a UI designer/front end developer to build my website out of a set of wireframes.

I noticed this process is very fragmented due to complexity. What would be the best approach?

1) a "GREAT" UI designer to provide only the layout .psd, then I have a front-end developer to work on it; or

2) a "GOOD" UI designer capable to do a "GOOD" front-end development.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I'm not sure this question can be answered objectively, both options depend on the person you choose.

Both UI and development are getting increasingly broader. A great UI designer needs to know about development, and a good web developer should be comfortable around usability.

If the functionality of the site is complex, you will need a developer that specializes in certain technologies (javascript, php, .net), but it will all depend on what exactly you want to achieve.

These questions might be of help:

share|improve this answer
I understand now, thanks Yisela. Let say that a UI designer created the layout .psd. The correct approach is a designer providing the code (HTML/CSS) or it's related to the developer? – paulmars Sep 5 '13 at 8:48
If you hire a designer to give you a PSD, it's most likely you will have the developer writing the code. Although a lot of web designers do their projects directly in HTML/CSS. But this is my opinion/experience, I'm sure others here will have different ones (that will get posted as answers during the day). – Yisela Sep 5 '13 at 8:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.