Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to print a brochure on a CMYK heidelberg CPC printing machine.

The design house has asked me this: "We'll need to know that/if you are using a specific profile for uncoated paper. Right now the pictures have FOGRA29 embedded for uncoated paper. Is that okay for you?"

I actually don't know what this means... I don't know what FOGRA29 is, all I know is my machine can print CMYK.

Can someone please explain what it all means?

share|improve this question
"Is that okay for you?" = you need to ask the design house, not us. – DA01 Sep 9 '13 at 14:13

FOGRA29 is a special color scheme. You need to prepare Adobe InDesign or ... to use this color scheme.

In English: Go to Edit > Color Settings... then under Working Spaces there's a CMYK menu for Uncoated FOGRA29.

In German: Change in menu Bearbeiten –- Farbeinstellungen... the Arbeitsfarbräume for CMYK to FOGRA29 ... uncoated and click on Ok.

You can also use Adobe Preflight to change the color management to FOGRA29.

share|improve this answer
+1 for preflight; a sadly ignored tool. – Benteh Nov 26 '13 at 22:42

Your answer is "Yes, that will be fine."

  • FOGRA39 Coated
  • FOGRA27 Coated (lightweight)
  • FOGRA29 Uncoated

You'll see that the CMYK working space for the document on uncoated stock is FOGRA29.

EDIT > Color Settings > Working Spaces CMYK: Uncoated FOGRA29.

Don't alter the correct setting. Good Luck.

Note: The RIP will take care of any necessary conversions.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.