I have battled a situation in the past from when I have an idea for a website I would design it. A few years back I decided to apply for some companies that were starting out in web development and posted they were seeking designers. So I created a portfolio tailored to each employer and my understanding of a good portfolio was for it to not be overwhelming and to prepare no more than my ten best designs. While on one of the interviews I was told, "we like your designs but wish they were full functioning sites". So my questions are:
- Is it a bad idea to use web designs that aren't coded?
- How do you properly sell the design to a possible employer?
- Is it bad to be honest that the designs are your ideas or should you pass them off as possible clients?
- Is their a good balance to use in client work VS personal work?
- Is a template design considered as personal work?